The Ultimate Guide to Christmas Movies

What is VMS watching for movies this Christmas?

Elle Arena, Contributor

Watching Christmas movies is one of the biggest parts of Christmas. Every year people wait for December to come so they can watch their favorite Christmas movies. Some people even watch Christmas movies all year round! Some of the most famous people have famous Christmas movies that they are cast in.   

Long before the “Miracle on 34th Street” and “It’s a Wonderful Life,” there was “Santa Claus”. Not only was this the first Christmas movie–it was among the first movies on any topic ever made. George Albert Smith, a British pioneer of filmmaking, produced it in 1898.  

Christmas movies are one of the most favorite parts of Christmas. Like Samantha Gomez (student at VMS) says “Christmas movies are my favorite part of Christmas.” Christmas films often give us hope and joy. They make us believe in all the good in this world, something we all need at the end of each year. We can all use some hope in our lives, and that is what makes us come back each year to watch the same Christmas movies over again. 

Some of the best Christmas movies that you should take into consideration to watching with your family this holiday includes  

1. Santa Claus is Coming to Town (1970)  
  1. Home Alone (1990)  
  1. Home Sweet Home Alone (2021)   
  1. The Preacher’s Wife (1996)  
  1. A Boy Called Christmas (2021) 
  1. Jack Frost (1998) 
  1. Christmas with the Kranks (2004) 
  1. Elf (2003) 

Around at VMS, the most favorite out of these were “Elf” and second best was “Home Alone.”  “Elf is the best cinematic masterpiece,” Chloe Johnson (VMS student) says. Katie Reynolds (VMS student) disagrees strongly. She believes that the “Grinch Stole Christmas” is the best film out of all the Christmas movies. 

Now you know what to watch this Christmas!