Summertime Activities for Students

What to do during Summer

Maya Solley, Contributor

The four best things to do when students are not going away on vacation for the summer are to work out, try a new activity, do a classic movie marathon, or apply for a job. Working out is an effective way to stay fit and healthy. Trying new activities such as guitar, dance, or art can be a fun way to broaden your knowledge, meet new people, and become more creative. Doing a classic movie marathon can be a way to jump into the past and learn different life lessons. Getting a job can be a way to make money, have fun, and make friends.  

Working out during the summer can keep people healthy and fit. Working out can improve many things, like mental health and physical health. Working out can improve your mental health by reducing depression, anxiety, and negativity. It also helps with self-esteem and causes people to sleep better. According to exercising-for-your-mental-health, “The levels of chemicals in the brain, such as serotonin, stress hormones, and endorphins, change when you exercise” which causes better health. Physical health is a particularly important thing to support. Exercise helps to reduce your weight, helps with muscle strength, and increases energy levels and health. According to the benefits of exercise, “Exercising while we are young helps build bone density, which can help prevent osteoporosis as we age.” Exercise is an important thing to do to stay healthy. 

Trying a new activity can be a good summer adventure. Trying new activities like singing, swimming, mini-golfing, or art can be a social activity to do with friends or a way to make new friends. Doing new activities can lead to social interactions, becoming involved in the community, improving brain function, and having fun. Many teens and kids have been attached to their electronic devices and haven’t been going outside to socialize and make friends during the summer. Joining a summer camp like art, swimming, mini-golf, and even singing can lead to new friends, having fun, and being involved in the community. One good benefit of trying new things is improved brain function. Trying new things involves brain challenges, both physically and mentally. As Dr. Sanjay Gupta says, “the act of learning new things, the act of experiencing something new — can all generate these new brain cells and these new pathways.” 

Another fantastic way to spend summer is by watching movies, but not just any movies, the classics like Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Back to the Future, Wizard of Oz, Jaws, and even The Outsiders. Classic movies can give lessons and teach young teens about the old days, plus they are a fun family time activity. Some classics, like The Outsiders, may teach about the differences that teens had in the old days. 12 Years a Slave (rated r) teaches people about the pre-Civil War era. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off teaches people to have fun and not take things too seriously. The Back to the Future Trilogy teaches people not to be afraid of making mistakes and that if you put your mind to it, you can achieve anything. The Wizard of Oz can teach people to be grateful for what they have and chase their dreams. The movie Jaws has a lesson that teaches that selfish acts will have consequences. The classics are fun and informational movies to watch with your friends and family.  

Money is something most teenagers want, but they don’t know how to get it besides house chores. A job is a fantastic way to get a constant paycheck and a sense of identity, learn about new people and life skills, and develop a life-school-work balance. For teens that love money and want a constant paycheck, getting a job is a wonderful choice. Whenever a person goes to a party or a get-together, they will ask, “What do you do?” Having a job is what they are more interested in, so a job may give a sense of identity. For antisocial people, a workplace may help them get out of their cocoon and break free like a butterfly. Working will help to learn how to be around annoying people and how to learn basic life skills like self-control, communication, and critical thinking. Many high and middle schools start early and end late, which can help how many hours a teen will work. Working, having fun, and getting good grades are challenging to support. So, a summer job is the most manageable thing to do. Time management can help with life-school-job balances.  

When you aren’t on vacation during the summer, there are plenty of things to be kept busy with. Trying a new activity, a classic movie marathon, or applying for a job is a fantastic way to keep busy. Working out is an effective way to stay fit and healthy too. New things can expand your knowledge. Classic movie marathons can teach people about the past. Getting a job gets teens money. All these things are great to do during the summer with the family or alone.