Choose Kindness Over Bullying

VMS works hard on rewarding Positive Behaviors

Choose Kindness Over Bullying

Arianna Reed, Contributor

Bullying is when a person teases or creates harm on another person. They usually do it to make themselves feel better, but what they are really doing is putting out a bad image of who they are. Bullying can happen both in person and on the internet, which is called cyberbullying. Bullies want to feel powerful. For example, a popular girl might target another person because they either do not have much confidence or have low self-esteem. Bullies could also get bullied in their own life.  

According to ABC news, 160,000 kids miss school each day due to the fear of being picked on. There are many ways to be kind and not be mean. It can be as simple as a smile or a compliment because anything you say or do matters. “Your words matter” is a statement you have heard multiple times here at VMS. This generation has tons of new social media platforms people did not have years ago. So, they did not have any cyberbullying on technology as we do now. Even on social media the things you post and say will stay with you your whole life. Bullying can cause students or adults to have depression or even become suicidal. The suicide rates in the U.S. have skyrocketed because people cannot keep things to themselves. There are signs you can tell if someone is getting bullied. People’s grades can go down and they can act differently.   

It’s good to talk to a trusted adult when you’re in a situation you can’t handle yourself. I asked our guidance counselor Mrs. Bailey, “What things are in place to stop or report bullying?” She responded with a victim that is targeted from bullying should talk to either Mr. Woods or Mrs. Rice, depending on your last name. Filling out a witness paper is helpful because it gives details of what’s happening. . Mrs. Bailey also said that there is a Hope Scholarship for the victims of bullying. People who sign up for the Hope Scholarship must be Florida residents. I know it doesn’t feel good to be teased or harassed, nobody deserves to be. You never know what someone is going through and it doesn’t take much to be nice. School should be a safe environment and when it’s not, that’s not good.