The Student News Site of Venice Middle School

Why Do Our Bodies Have Allergies?

Food allergies affect about one in ten Americans

About 32 million people have food allergies in the U.S alone. But why does my body react to certain foods while yours does not? Studies at U.S. Food and Drug Administration have found that 90% of all food allergies are of the most commonly used food like nuts, seeds, and dairy products. So, let us find out why our bodies react differently to certain foods and how that could come into play with your school and social day-to-day life.

Everyone’s body is different, and we all have dislikes and likes for certain food. Well, your body has favorites too. When you have an allergic reaction, our immune system creates a defense mechanism where antibodies are released and attack a food or substance that you consume. It does this because it mistakenly takes a food harmful and fights it as if it was something dangerous. As a result of this, chemicals are released that react in symptoms and are tested as an allergic reaction. Some people grow out of an allergy as they get older, while others allergies may be delayed.  

Recently, I interviewed an 8th grader, Cheyenne Goris, who explained her allergy to pineapple fruit cups. The main question asked, how does it affect you during your day-to-day routine at school in which she answered, “Sometimes they serve pineapple fruit cups at school, and I have to be careful to choose a fruit with no pineapple or even pineapple juice in the fruit mix”.  I also asked her what would happen if she consumed pineapple where she told me that she gets hives and a tight throat after about 25 minutes after eating pineapple. Finally, I asked her what she uses to make the reaction go away, “I like to use Benadryl, cortisone cream, and calamine lotion to make the reaction go away” she explained. So even though she adjusts during her day to stay safe, here at VMS we serve all kinds of fruit options for people with food allergies just like Cheyenne. Doing this helps multiple students stay safe while getting a substitute that is right for them. 

Another person I interviewed was my cousin Zachary. He told me about how he is allergic to Mangos and peanuts. He told me about how important it is for companies to put warning labels for allergies on packaging. Including these warnings can help limit contamination especially if some food products come from companies that include common high risk allergies. Luckily, he explained to me that his allergies aren’t as severe as others but to make his reaction go away, he usually takes a Benadryl. 

In conclusion, there are many people who have food allergies that can affect them at school, at restaurants, or even when you just want a snack. So, to ensure everyone’s safety we need to be more aware of our food contamination and be safe when having food with someone with allergies. 

The Charger Courier • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in